Monday, October 18, 2010

Happy 6th Birthday, CJ!

Six years ago today, Ray and I were on our way back from a Valvereplacement.com reunion in Golden Colorado. My daughter, Jessica was in the Air Force and stationed near Rapid City, SD. She was due to give birth shortly before that weekend, (if I remember correctly), but it hadn't happened. We decided to stop there on our way back home to Minnesota. I was really hoping she'd have the baby while we were there, but had no idea if she really would or not. We met Jessica and her dad for dinner, and then stayed at a hotel that Sunday night, because her dad was staying at her place. She called me at about 10pm and said that he was bringing her into the hospital. I was very excited! We were going to be there for this blessed event!

Ray and I met them at the hospital, and we sat with her awhile. Eventually, it looked like things were not going to happen real soon, so the two grandpas left, Jerry to Jessica's and Ray went back to our hotel room. I stayed there with Jessica, and slept in the recliner. The next morning, the guys came back to the hospital, and things started to progress. She didn't want her dad or step-dad in the room, but Mom was welcome to stay and witness the birth! I did, and it was one of the most incredible experiences of my life!

Christian Jacob was born at 11:07 AM. Just by looking at Jessica's tummy beforehand, I had guessed her baby boy would weigh 8 lbs. 8 oz. When it was time to take him to be weighed, the nurse said, "Grandma, would you like to carry him to the nursery?" I said, " I'd love to." I picked him up, and "weighing" him with my arms, I said, "I'll stick with 8 lbs. 8 oz." I handed him over to the nurse, (who had guessed he was at least 10 lbs.) and she laid him on the scale. He weighed in at exactly 8 lbs. 9 oz. Not a bad guess, if I do say so myself. It probably helped a little that I had given birth to four babies, ranging in size from 8 lbs. 6 oz - 9 lbs. 8 oz. I knew he was right in there.

While Jess was in the Air Force, we didn't get to see Christian a lot, except when he stayed with us, during the times his mom had to be gone for training, and while she served in Iraq for 5 months...when he was just 10 months old.

Today, Christian (or CJ as I generally refer to him on my blog), is a handsome, healthy, happy, and sometimes hilarious 6 year old, who loves Kindergarten and especially riding on the school bus. Last night, Grandpa Jerry came over for pizza, cake and ice cream. This was his "Toy Story 3 birthday cake:

I know what you're thinking. You're thinking this grandma decorated his birthday cake, right? WRONG! I didn't even touch this one, but my daughter, (Jessica) has picked up a few things by watching me. She also worked in an in-store bakery with me, back in the day, when she was in high school, where she had to do a little decorating. I think she did an awesome job on his cake!

Here are some of his birthday gifts:

He got a Star Wars light saber from Grandpa Jerry, along with a nice warm pair of snow pants.

A new game for his Wii from his mama...The DVD, "How to Train Your Dragon" from Grandpa Ray and me...


And last but certainly not least, a Nintendo DS, also from his mother.

He was pretty excited about that!


Happy Birthday to my sweet grandson, Christian. I can't believe you're 6 years old already!

1 comment: