Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Winter in Minnesota ~ Through the Eyes of A Child

On my way to Bible Study at our church this morning, with my 6 year old grandson in tow, I was reminded to try to see things from a more positive perspective. We had gotten light rain, mixed with snow, (or as my mother would call it, "schnizzle"), for the better part of the day yesterday, which had turned to snow overnight. By morning, there was probably around 5 inches on the ground. The roads had not yet been plowed, but the school bus had made it through, along with a few other vehicles. After clearing the snow off of the van, Christian and I were making our way to church, (late...but making our way). Now, having lived in the state of Minnesota all my life, I've driven in "poor winter driving conditions" every winter for more than half of it...but I do NOT enjoy it. It makes me very nervous, especially on our little dirt road out here, which can get rather slick at times. Anyway, I'm driving rather slowly and carefully this morning, with both hands on the wheel...and grumbling to myself, (as usual), things like, "I HATE this!" And from the back seat, I hear, "Isn't it BEE-U-Ful, Grandma?" "Yes, Christian. You're right. It IS BEAUTIFUL!"
(The line of over-grown, snow-flocked Christmas trees that border the land that we rent. The property actually WAS a Christmas tree farm at one time.)

For the next couple of miles on our little Christmas tree-lined road, I try a bit harder to appreciate the beauty that our Creator has set before us on this day...and as I reach the highway, I realize that God had just given me a Christmas card, to drive through, on my way to town this morning...and that I should accept it, and thank Him for it. Thank you, Lord, for the beauty that you set before me, each and every day...no matter the season. Help me to see it and appreciate it... through the eyes of a child. Amen

1 comment:

  1. It's funny what a child can teach us! I call them my mirrors. They show me my flaws like looking in a mirror, so I have to change.

    ReplyDelete